50 Roman Road
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antennas

4 posters

Go down

Antennas Empty Antennas

Post  Boris Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Just out of curiosity: does anyone have a clue what the dozen or so antennas on the rooftop correspond to (other than mobile phone relays)? And why is the cable TV signal so shitty?

Boris

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Re: Antennas

Post  Alex Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 am

Signal is rubbish.

Does everyone have to connect to the pulg which goes to the wires outside the window?

Also, do people have a problem with condensation on the inside of the windows?

Alex
Admin

https://50romanroad.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Antennas and Windows

Post  Boris Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 am

Yes, the signal is rubbish. I suspect it's because the cables leading into the flats have simply been strung together without the slightest protective sheathing. As for the windows, the sealing is old and mouldy and should have been replaced ages ago. I understand the freeholders have been discussing the windows issue, but replacing them in the entire building is of course a massive intervention, and so far no-one seems to be keen on spending that sort of cash. The other downside of this is that the isolation is dreadful. Combined with the prehistoric electrical heating, this means that heating bills in winter are going through the roof. In the long run, it's an incredible waste of energy and money, but one that is devolved to the tenants – which is why I suppose nothing is likely to happen on that front for another thirty years.

Boris

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

Not ideal. We have to live with the problem then I guess until someone steps up and gets it sorted... Sleep

Alex
Admin

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Windows

Post  Gina Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

Our heating bills are through the roof and the condensation is pretty bad, but I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has cracks in their windows? We have one reaching from top to bottom in our bedroom window, another about 4 inches high in the kitchen window, and another, also 4 inches high, has appeared at the bottom of the big mirror over the bath.

These have all appeared within the last 6 months, and our landlady assures us that this is not her problem. Stonedale assures us it IS her problem. Meanwhile, nowt is being done about it.

Gina

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Cracks in the window

Post  Boris Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:16 am

We have no cracks in the windows but obviously the whole set-up dates from BC and would need to be overhauled. My guess is that this is an issue with the freeholders, as it would require extensive refurbishing, which is not likely to happen. (In any case this seems to be outside of Stonedale's mission since it is not a shared facility.) I reckon the general state of the building is somehow reflected in the rent you pay. In other words, it's take or leave it. But if the window panes are cracked (i.e. dysfunctional), I would think that the owner is required to have them replaced. And I do agree, electricity is a serious issue: the night collectors are at best antediluvian and the loss of heat through the window panes is ridiculous. Certainly not ecological by any standard. Nor cheap, for that matter. They obviously didn't care much about heating costs in the 80s...

Boris

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Cracks in the window and standard rent

Post  Gina Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:40 am

Interesting point re what rent we're paying - what do you think is standard/acceptable for an average flat in the building?

Gina

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Rents

Post  Boris Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:44 am

I believe it depends to some degree on the number of people (i.e. flatmates or couples), but these days it is certainly not far from 300 a week.

Boris

Back to top Go down

Post  ianh Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Seems about right.. or 200 for the one-beds on the podium.

Stonedale have started to regularly collect large sums of money from the freeholders (ie. The owners of each flat) to save up for refurbishments, which are due to commence in 2013. Because of the staggering amounts of money involved I would be surprised if the windows weren't on the list.

Until then though landlords are not obliged to fix them, there are actually very few things they are obliged to do. If you have heat and water and your appliances are safe then that's about it.

ianh

Back to top Go down

Post  ianh Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Also rather than the 80s (despite what the black/red/mirror lobby conveys) the building is actually one of the oldest blocks around dating from the 60s, it was a council block until the early 90s when the entire block was bought by a private developer, refurbished, and sold off individually

ianh

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Property

Post  Boris Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Funny. When we moved in my first guess was that the tower was a late 60s construction, but I was told it had been built in 1979. I googled and it seems it was completed in 1970, which makes sense. I have heard about the 2013 deadline as well, including the replacement of windows, but from what I remember from that conversation, not all the freeholders seemed to agree it was necessary. I don't know what happens in those instances. Can reluctant owners be forced to participate financially, is there a quorum, etc.? Certainly, replacing the windows would be a considerable investment, but also a massive improvement, notably in terms of noise reduction (not to mention the traffic increase to be expected for the Olympics...).

Boris

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 am

Noise between the flats is minimal. I noticed the clever design the other week, where we do not actually share a wall with another flat.

How big are the 1 beds? Currently living in a two bed, but just curious.

Our window issues is that there is water trapped between the glass, which means we never get a clear view outside. I was also curious, has anyone ever seen a window cleaner? I attempted to hang out the windows and clean them, but could not manage to do all of it, whilst at the same time almost plunged to my death.

Another interesting fact, our building is actually called THE PODIUM!

Alex
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Baddeo Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 am

We call the building Canary Dwarf.. feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why that name.

Baddeo

Back to top Go down

Antennas Empty Window cleaners

Post  Boris Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 am

Herewith proof that (some) windows (very occasionally) get wiped (in winter).
Antennas Window13
Antennas Window12

Boris

Back to top Go down

Post  ianh Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 am

Sorry to be a pedant but as far as I'm aware the building isn't called the podium, it's actually just the first floor that is called that, hence the flat numbers - P1 etc.

Also we've had a couple of tips for the heating costs, apparently it isn't because of the window panes at all.

Firstly the seals themselves get clogged up with grit and stop the windows from closing properly.. this can be fixed by cleaning with a toothbrush.

Secondly have a look on the wall behind the boiler, chances are that (helpfully) there's a big hole there with cold air blowing in. This makes the boiler have to work much harder increasing your bills massively, so it needs blocking up.

ianh

Back to top Go down

Post  ianh Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 am

Also if your landlord is being unhelpful then this won't help, but Franco (number currently on the pinboard downstairs) has done many condensation pane replacements.

ianh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum